Friday, March 19, 2010

Thing 17

Ah, my last blog. So when checking out the CNET Webware 100 winners website, I looked at a few of some new websites that caught my attention.

#1 Mozy- As someone who has lost school data twice already (once from a zip disk crash and once from a computer crash) I could really use some data back up. $4.95 is pretty cheap for unlimited space. And I really like that it automatically syncs my computer files whenever I add something new. I just saw that a home user can get 2GB for free, which would cover all my precious school documents.

#2 Tripit- This is a cool tool for traveling! It can organize all my travel documents (like airline itineraries, hotel confirmations, etc) into one online document that I can access from my cell phone! It will even include current weather, relevant maps, and photos. I could have really used this 2 years ago when my husband and I went backpacking around Europe for 27 days...

#3 Skype- This is the tool I chose to look at more in depth. I've heard of it a little, but really had no idea what it was capable of! I think it is great that someone finally developed a program that will enable video chats for free! Basically Skype works by importing a contact list with their phone numbers and you can text, call, videochat, or IM them on their computers. You can also download Skype on your cell phone so you can use it on the go. I would definitely use this feature to video call my brother who lives in Miami, that way I can see him when we talk...it'll be much better than chatting on the phone. I can see this as a useful tool for new parents to show off their new babies to family members who live far away. The video chat is priceless and the possibilities are endless! As long as the person you care planning to talk to downloads Skype, everything is free! They also have great rates for calling land lines or mobile phones, which could be a great alternative for calling friends/family who live overseas.

No comments:

Post a Comment